Being a traditional holiday as well, it is still now celebrated quite often in many regions. Early during the Spring and Autumn period, 2500 old years from now, Winter solstice was first determined as the Chinese traditional solar term among the total 24 terms. In Gregorian calendar, it is around Dec 22nd or 23rd.
Traditional food: Dumpling、Sweet soup balls、Mutton soup
Festival meaning: Worship the ancestors, Welcome the new year, Keep energy
Another traditional food is sweet soup ball. "Dumpling" is the essential winter food, is a circle with a dessert made of glutinous rice flour, "round" means "happy" and "fulfillment", Winter Solstice to eat glutinous rice balls, a symbol of family harmony, good fortune, so they eat them to the Winter Solstice called "winter group." Folk of "eating rice balls a year older," said. Group can be used to worship the winter solstice can also be used to give each other friends.
In the north, no matter rich or poor, everyone will eat dumpling to memorize medical sage-Zhongjing Zhang.
Instead of staring at the screen, go to the kitchen to make dumpling yourself! Here is the recipe.
· Jiaozi dough:
· 3 cups all-purpose flour
· up to 1 1/4 cups cold water
· 1/4 teaspoon salt
· 1 cup ground pork or beef
· 1 TB soy sauce
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 1 TB Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
· 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper, or to taste
· 3 TB sesame oil
· 1/2 green onion (spring onion), finely minced
· 1 1/2 cups finely shredded Napa cabbage
· 4 tablespoons shredded bamboo shoots
· 2 slices fresh ginger, finely minced
· 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely minced